Magnify View

Bismuth/Tin Lump

SKU: BI116100 Category: Tags: ,

Alloys of Bismuth and Tin have a low melting point, and are non-toxic. They are being used as a low-temperature casting alloy, especially for educational purposes. They are an ideal material for students to practice casting techniques, and form-making, being non-toxic and entirely re-useable. The non-toxicity of these alloys also makes them suitable for weights and measures used in the food industry (supermarkets, restaurants etc), where lead weights had previously been used.

Bismuth/Tin alloys are being explored as an alternative to lead-based solders, particularly for low-temperature applications. With the toxicity of lead being a concern, lumps of bismuth/tin alloy are being tested for their use in similar applications instead.

Properties

Product Tag
Low melting point
Product Tag
Low Toxicity